Electricity is an essential service or commodity used by everyone to meet their requirements. We are surrounded by gadgets that use electricity for power. Our life is incomplete without them, from leisure equipments to complex work tools, will need electricity all the day but what we don’t want is hefty electricity bills.
It proves a great burden for people belonging to low income households who encounter income hardships and the electricity bill gives another slap on their face.
Recognizing this problem government of Karnataka has started Gruha Jyoti scheme that will be operational from July 1.
In this article, I will explain how you can apply for the Gruha Jyothi scheme from the comfort of your own home. I will provide information on how to apply and take the benefit of this scheme.
If you are interested in learning more about the Karnataka Gruha jyoti scheme, please read this article in its entirety. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends, so they too can learn how to apply for Gruha jyoti yojana online.
Gruha Jyoti scheme karnataka
Under this scheme, the subsidy provided to the people will be paid by government to the electricity supplier companies.
What is Gruha Jyoti scheme yojana?
Gruha Jyoti scheme is a government initiative to provide free electricity upto 200 units to the eligible citizens of Karnataka. This will help reduce the financial hardships on people and increase opportunities for them.
200 units is chosen as 10 percent of the average monthly consumption of Karnataka in the financial year 2022-23. Anyone using above 200 units will pay the net bill amount from which 200 units will be cut.
Anyone using less than 200 units will receive a zero bill. Under this scheme it is mandatory to link Consumer ID/ Account ID with Aadhaar card. (Consumer ID is present on electricity bill)
Gruha Jyoti scheme Overview
|Department||Karnataka State Government|
|Launch date||July 1|
|Registration last date||July 15|
|Implemented bh||Priyanka Gandhi V|
|Objective||To ensure free electricity upto 200 units for eligible citizens|
Gruha jyoti scheme objective
Gruha Jyoti scheme has several objectives like-
- This yojana will help alleviate the financial hardships on people by providing them 200 units of free electricity.
- This will help increase the standard of living for low income households as the money saved in paying electric bill can be used for other purposes and needs like education, lighting, cooking, etc.
- The consumers will get aware of their electricity consumption as the government has set a bar of maximum consumption of 200 units for zero electric bill.
- The ease of access that the government has provided will help the people to apply for this scheme while sitting at home. They won’t have to get outside and stand in long queues to get their names registered.
Gruha jyoti scheme eligibility
To be eligible to apply in Gruha Jyoti scheme the eligibility criteria is-
- Applicant should be a resident of Karnataka.
- Applicants should have a valid metered electricity connection.
- People who are residing in Karnataka and have residence proof are eligible even if they have Aadhaar registered outside Karnataka..
- Only residential properties are valid for this scheme.
- Only one meter per household is eligible for this scheme.
- Beneficiaries of the existing Bhagya Jyoti / Kutira Jyoti Yojana and Amruta Jyoti Yojana are also included in this scheme.
- To be eligible for this scheme all the bill due till June 2023 should be cleared within 3 months.
Gruha jyoti yojana karnataka requirements
To apply for Gruha Jyoti scheme you need to adhere to the following requirements-
- Valid electricity connection
- Consumer ID/ Account ID present on electricity bill
- Aadhar Card
- Tenant (Lease/ Rental agreement)
No fees is required to apply for this scheme.
Griha jyoti yojana registration
- Applicant has to register on the Seva Sindhu portal to get benefit of this scheme.
- After successful registration applicant has to login into the portal.
- The link for scheme registration will become active from June 15.
- Applicant has to open the link and fill in all the required details.
- Plus, he has to upload all the necessary documents required for registration if required.
- You will receive an acknowledgement through sms on your phone on successful registration.
- Your application will be reviewed and verified by the government.
- If you are eligible for this scheme, you will get free electricity for 200 units every month.
- The benefit of this scheme will start from August 1 as concession will start on the bill of July month.
Only those who apply for this yojana will be able to avail benefits of this scheme. Unlike the Uchita Prayan scheme where every woman in Karnataka is eligible for free bus travel, one needs to apply in this scheme. Applicants can apply through laptops, computers, phones or any device by visiting the online portal.
To apply for this scheme offline one needs to visit the Grama One, Karnataka One, Bangalore One centers.
Also Read: Free silai machine yojana 2023 | Apply now
Gruha jyoti benefits
Gruha jyoti scheme has several benefits like
- It helps to reduce financial burden on people who are unable to pay their hefty electricity bills and cannot pay due to lower incomes. This scheme is a big lifesaver for those people.
- This scheme helps to improve the quality of life among the low income households who will be able to access various electrical equipment which will make their life easy.
- The money saved in paying the electricity bill will be used to ample of generate opportunities in productive and economic activities.
- Not only can this money be used for investment purposes but it could be used to access basic necessities as well like utensils, communication, transport, education, etc.
- By providing 200 units for free, people will become conscious to use electricity wisely, some will try to decrease its wastage and it will all help in the long run to save the planet.
- This scheme will help curb the social gap between people as everyone will get benefit from this scheme.
- The online process of applying for this scheme helps people to get benefit of this scheme will sitting at home. They won’t have to stand in long queues and wait for their registration.
Toll free number: 08022279954, 8792662814, 8792662816 (10am- 6pm)
All working days except government holiday
Gruha jyoti yojana Karnataka apply online Latest news
Thank you for reading this article until the end. This website provides information on government schemes, state government schemes, jobs, and exams. We would love to hear about your experience, so please share your thoughts in the comment box below. If you have any doubts or problems, feel free to ask or email us in the comment box below.
We will do our best to respond as soon as possible.
Frequently asked Questions
How to change the name of owner in electricity connection if previous owner has died?
The name can be changed at Jana Snehi Vidyuth service counters at all sub divisions. To be eligible for the scheme, the connection will be transferred in present owner’s name.
What if the monthly consumption is more than 200 units?
If the monthly consumption is greater than 200 units then the beneficiary will have to pay the entire bill amount for that month.
If consumption is less than 200 units, what will be the bill?
If consumption is less than 200 units then the beneficiary will get a “zero bill”.